CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carrots and Broccoli and Bears, Oh My!

I am not a cooked veggie eater. I prefer them raw, or not at all. I don't like the smell, texture or taste of cooked veggies. Well, except green beans, corn and potatoes...although I kinda don't count corn and potatoes as veggies. Anyway, since I don't eat them cooked, I really have no way of knowing if there is a difference in taste in frozen or canned. I know fresh is best (and, again, raw, in my opinion), but sometimes we can't always do that. Apparently there is a difference. And apparently Evan can taste it.

Tonight he had carrots and broccoli (both frozen, but cooked and had butter and even honey, in the case of the carrots) with his chicken. After he ate, he wanted to have the last two cookies that were made last night. He ate all the chicken, but didn't eat more than a bite of the carrots or broccoli. I told him he had to eat a lot more carrots before I would let him have the cookies.

So, he goes off into the dining room (I was in Mikel's room at the time) and in a couple of minutes tells me, "Okay, Mom...they're all gone. The carrots are all gone." I thought, to myself that he must've really wanted the cookies...I said to him, "They're all gone?" he answered yes, and as I turned around, I caught him getting down from the table - plate in hand, and still full of carrots, thank you - and heading off to the sink to dump them out. I was floored. Couldn't believe it.

I went in and explained to him that what he was trying to do was wrong and the same as lying, which would get him in a lot of trouble. I told him if he wants the cookies, he has to eat his carrots. I told him not to get down from the table and I would come back and check.

A few minutes later, he says he had his bites. I went in to look....and the little con man had HIDDEN THE CARROTS UNDER THE RANCH AND KETCHUP HE HAD FOR HIS CHICKEN!!!!!!!! I sat there and made him eat three bites as a matter of principle, but I thought that was probably really cruel and unusual because obviously, he didn't like them. He never complained - just flat out wasn't going to eat them and was determined to find a way not to. He usually eats carrots (and broccoli, only raw), so this was unusual.

Now I'm really going to have to watch him...and check the trash...and the toilet...and the dog bowls...

1 comments:

HomeSchool Mommy said...

That's hilarious! (Funnier when I read it, because I can never hear you very well on the phone anymore.)

He is really good about eating cooked carrots and broccoli here.

I cook canned carrots with brown sugar.

I steam fresh broccoli and cut it up really small, cover it with cheese and melt the cheese in the microwave.

I LOVE almost all veggies...any way you can serve them. I would say that, after fresh, frozen is the next best thing. BUT, I have exceptions to that rule.

Keep up the blogging!