CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Outsourcing

I hate outsourcing. Well, let me clarify that. I hate international outsourcing. And unfortunately, I encounter it every. single. day.

My soapbox is the same as that of many other Americans, I'm sure. It sickens me that there are millions of people here who are out of work and there are thousands of jobs - if not millions, when you include all American companies and "American made" products that fall into the category - that are being given to outsourcing companies or factories in other countries.

I called AT&T the other day about my U-Verse service. It was about 11:00 p.m. I got a young lady who didn't have the faintest clue what I was talking about. I finally asked her if she had ever seen the U-Verse product. After a long pause and some hesitation, she finally told me she had not. I proceeded to give her some insight as to my thoughts on the matter...how on God's green earth (and I did NOT care if my reference to my Holy Father offended her) could AT&T outsource CUSTOMER SERVICE and TECH SUPPORT to a company full of people who had never even SEEN the service??? It sent me right over the edge. And believe me, when I can figure out a way to get to someone who "counts" at AT&T, I plan to let them know about it.

Several times a week I have to call various insurance agencies and I seem to always wind up talking to someone who is somewhere other than the 48 contiguous United States - or even in North America. Like they have ANY clue about how our insurance system works.

And you know, there are SO MANY people who are not in the U.S. who have access to private information. Kind of a sobering thought, really.

And you know what "reasons" I hear (other than the obvious that it's cheaper)? I hear that American workers don't want to do the jobs, so companies don't have a choice. I hear that American workers aren't educated enough to do the jobs. Oh really? As opposed to someone who hasn't ever seen the product or service???

I can't argue with the fact that American's probably don't want to do a thankless job (since most people calling for customer service or support are typically ticked off) for minimum wage or something else insulting. If companies make it worth a worker's while (and I'm not talking outrageous amounts here), the return from the worker is well worth it. And if you think someone isn't educated enough, educate them. Hey, that concept can create more jobs...

Yeah, let's fix the economy...

Let's start by giving corporations a break (tax or whatever) for bringing jobs back here. Let's have them renovate some unused buildings (renovation - more jobs for construction, etc.) to house these American workers who want to go back to work. Maybe they can get some type of rebate for that, too. Or maybe they can figure out a way for more people to telecommute, which would save money and the environment if there are less people driving.

Let's make things attractive to EVERYONE by bringing jobs back. See what that does for the economy. Don't you think that if more people are working, more money will go back into the economy? People can maybe pay their bills and mortgages...Banks and lenders can get back on track.

I would be willing to bet that if you started asking the out-of-work Americans, they would be really happy to take back OUR jobs!!!

0 comments: